As zucchini season is here I am ready to dive into all the zucchini recipes! I love how tasty and easy zoodles are. Perfect with chicken, steak tips and now meatballs! I came up with this one as I have been craving bacon lately, which I always have on hand. I almost always have ground turkey or beef in my fridge as well, as I make lots of tacos. This time I saw the bacon on top of ground turkey and thought hm what a great combination!
Bacon in meatballs seems weird, but it’s actually quite tasty. I added breadcrumbs and onions and the flavor was just perfect. Since my meatballs weren’t whole 30 compliant, I decided to find a whole 30 compliant sauce. One whole 30 compliant portion is better than none!
These meatballs would taste great over pasta or spaghetti squash as well! I might tackle the spaghetti squash option next.
First I mixed my ground turkey with 1/4 cup finely diced onion, 3 strips diced bacon, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp parsley, 1 tsp garlic powder, salt, pepper, and 1 whisked egg.
Mix together and roll into 1 inch meatballs. Heat 2 tbsp EVOO over medium heat. Cook your meatballs in batches so they have space to brown. I cooked on each side about 2-3 minutes and did about 3 batches.
Once all meatballs are browned add in 24 OZ of your favorite sauce. I used OrganicoBello’s marinara sauce, which is delicious and whole 30 approved! You can use any sauce you’d like or make your own. I covered and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
While your meatballs are cooking prepare your zucchinis. I washed and spiralized 3 zucchini’s. First I heated 1 tbsp EVOO over medium high heat on a skillet. Then I cooked the zucchini for 3-5 minutes. Not too long or the zucchini will get soggy. Season with salt and pepper.
Once your zoodles are finished place them on a plate and top with your meatballs and sauce. Enjoy!
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3 strips of bacon, diced
- 3 zucchini’s spiralized
- 1/4 cup finely diced onions
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp mined garlic
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 whisked egg
- First mix your ground turkey, breadcrumbs, onions, parmesan cheese, bacon, and spices. Roll into 1 inch meatballs.
- Heat 2 tbsp EVOO over medium heat. Place your meatballs in pan and brown each side 2-3 minutes. Brown your meatballs in batches ensuring to not overcrowd.
- Once all your meatballs are browned, add them all back to pan. Add 24 oz of your favorite sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20-25 minutes.
- While your meatballs are cooking, wash and spiralize your zucchini’s.
- Heat 1 tbsp EVOO over medium high heat. Once heated add your zucchini’s and cook for 3-5 minutes making sure to not overcook (they will get soggy). Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve zucchini on dish and top with your meatballs and sauce.